Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Change of Plans


I was on Facebook a few weeks ago and saw I have an old friend from IU that plays on the Fort Wayne Firehawks, an indoor areana football league team. I thought it would be fun, and cheap, to go up to Fort Wayne last weekend for a game. I got tickets and was looking forward to it for weeks. I reserved a hotel room and was all ready to go when I received a call on Thursday of last week saying, "The game has been canceled". It was too late to cancel the room, so we decided to go to Fort Wayne for a date weekend.

On Friday, I went and picked Emily up from work and we were on our way. The first night was uneventful because all Emily wanted to do was nap...I can't blame her, she has been pretty tired lately. After a short nap, we went to my favorite restaurant, Flat Top Grill. It is a create-your-own stir fry place and is connected to a nice outdoor shopping mall. We walked off dinner through the mall, which had a live concert going on...pretty cool. After that we headed back to the hotel to relax, but ended up walking over to a movie theater that was next door. We watched the new Shrek Forever After in 3D (review available upon request).

On Saturday we decided to go to the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo...we were the only adults there without children. Both of us being big kids, we still had a great time. See Pictures Below:

First stop on the trip was the tortoise pen (Emily's favorite). We learned about everything there is to know about these guys from a lovely lady named Barbara. She is know from all around and is a huge hit with all the kids. Barbara is the real attraction here...so sweet and knowledgeable about her job. Sorry I didn't get a picture of this lady, but if you look up the zoo on Facebook, she will be there.

The Kamodo Dragon is what the Fort Wayne Zoo is known for because there are so few in captivity around the world. They are pretty cool with a very long tail. They are extremely venomous so they are housed in a glass case. This was one of my favorite things to see.

Being a children's zoo, there were statues and fun figures everywhere. Here is a larger than life "Mother Goose" watching over her flock. Tons of ducks and geese in the pond (kids can feed them).

I just thought this was cool how the goose was diving for food.

This was my favorite animal of the trip...how cute is it that they are so much like humans that they even wear blankets.

The zoo was actually pretty fun. I took several pictures, but I don't like that they all have cage bars in them. We did go see the Sea Lion show, but no pictures of that...too congested. All and all a good weekend, even though it was nothing like what I had planned.

3 comments:

  1. It was nice for you two to be able to get away for a couple of days. And I think the zoo may be as much (or more!) fun than arena football! I love the last photo of the orangutan...just look at his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures of the animals...I see Mother Goose but where is the Little Red Hen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To your right, you'll see the wild dog of Austrailia, the dingo!

    ReplyDelete