Friday, July 9, 2010

Yes It's True...I Have A Tattoo

Last August I did something I never thought I would...I got a tattoo. I had always thought they were interesting, but never something for me. My dad got one many years ago when he was in the service, my brother...he is a living mural (so many tattoos I have lost count). So needless to say my family does not oppose the idea of body art.

I had always said, "If I get one, it will be for a reason." I believe all tattoos, no matter how silly, have a story to the person wearing it. My story is about where I come from and what I believe in... my family.

My dad and I share a special bond, and for awhile talked about getting matching tattoos, but nothing ever came of it. Partially because I was scared and partially because I wanted it to mean something.

My family is the most important thing to me...and my last name is a reminder of where I come from. Whaley may not be the most famous name in history, maybe it is even tarnished in parts of the world, but it is the name I have carried throughout my life. The family crest has 3 black whales, and the name is believed to be traced back to whaling origins. So the whale has always been a symbol of importance to my family. So what better image to carry with me...
The above picture is the whale I now have on my back, it is a humpback whale. I hand drew the picture taking ideas from other pictures I found, until I had something I felt was my personality.

A whale is an important symbol in many Indian cultures and stands for strength and wisdom. The whale is also considered the "great healer" in Indian legend. Whales are also one of the few animals that stays with the same partner for life, and always stays in pods with family. To me that is what I value...strength, wisdom, to be a good healer (physical therapist), and of course a family man.

To tie it all together, my dad and I got the same tattoo. Mine is larger and on my back, my dad's is on his forearm. It is a family bond we will always share, but the whale to me was always about family.





2 comments:

  1. Your deep dark secret has been revealed!!! Anything else I need to know??? :) Love you, even with a tattoo...you wild man, you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome story to go along with a great design!

    ReplyDelete