Saturday, February 19, 2011

New Orleans Part 1: A Streetcar Named Desire

The city of New Orleans is so full of history and character, especially the French Quarter. That is why I was so excited to visit. The busy life and the bustling city, makes for an amazing place to visit, but never a place I could call home. Traffic is simply horrible, just ask Emily... she had a bad experience. The roads are confusing, most of them one ways that join with other streets. Divided intersections are everywhere downtown which makes it a nightmare for out-of-towners. Below is a picture of an intersection and a streetcar, something we don't have to worry about here in Indiana.
The streetcars were my favorite part of the city. I thought they were quite interesting and not something you see everyday. Did you know that the screenplay "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams was inspired and written in New Orleans? In fact, the next picture is the hotel in which he stayed and wrote the play.
From the outside it is very ordinary, very old, and not all that inspiring. We did not stay here, but I can only assume it is a very nice hotel...after all it did have a Ferrari parked out front.
This was my favorite picture of the trip and the reason I started my New Orleans series talking about streetcars. I just love how it looks "old world" and represents the character of a city.


3 comments:

  1. I'd much rather deal with streetcars in a city than buses...at least you know for sure where they're going to go! Can't wait for parts 2+!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good literature lesson, and I hope you two had a great time down South. Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete