Thursday, August 6, 2009

Saturday August 1st...oh what an adventure!

I wanted to give myself time to settle down from this past weekend and get school started with before I gave my two cents on the wedding weekend. As most of you know, one of my younger brothers Kamaron got married this past weekend to the love of his life Anique. They both looked very happy together and I wish them the best as they start their lives together in Kansas City!

What was meant to be just a fun day where I could celebrate, turned into an adventure to say the least. My job on Saturday was to drop Zach off at the church at 10:15 for pictures so that I could meet Imogene to get the cake set up at the reception hall. When I arrived at the church, I was in a very good mood. Then I found out that plans had changed slightly as I found out I was going to have to go to the Union first to meet Dana to get the key. I was suppossed to already know this but somewhere it was lost in translation. But no big deal... I had plenty of time....until....

I went into the men's bathroom (since the women's was occupied by Anique and her bridemaids) with Zach so he could help fix my dress and when Zach was zipping it up the zipper got off the track and got stuck. After hearing "oh no" I tried not to freak out but when I figured out what happened I wasn't too happy. So I took off the dress and tried to fix it myself. When I got really frustrated because I couldn't, I asked/cried/got angry with Zach to get my mom. There I am in the men's bathroom with no dress on but a tank top, underwear, and dress shoes (quite comical looking back on it). Well after mom looked at the dress, we figured out that there is nothing that could be done except sewing me up...with a small sewing kit...not gonna happen!

Well with the back on my dress completely open, my "bite me" underwear, and no sweater I had NO CLUE what I was going to do. But even though I was getting hysterical, mom stayed calm and safety pinned me, gave me her sweater, and sent me off to Kohl's to find a new outfit so I can be back to the church in less than an hour for pictures. This is totally going to happen (haha)!

Well Zach drove me to Kohl's (keep in mind he is completely dressed to the T all ready for pictures while I am basically hanging out of the back with only the tops of my underwear showing). We were on a mission. Zach was a real trooper and we looked for every dress that I could wear a regular bra with and were in my size. Then I went for a skirt and top option which turned out to be the best. But there was still a problem...my shoes I brought were brown and my new outfit was black.

So we headed to the shoes area where we looked at EVERY SINGLE black dress shoe and couldn't find a single 9 or 9.5. Actually there was nothing bigger than a 7. So I settled on a flip flop that kind of matched my outfit (not really but it was the best I could do). Then it was time to check out where I paid WAY TOO MUCH for the outfit but what was I to do.

The checkout lady was about as slow as they go and said she liked the outfit I had chosen but liked my dress better and that I should just wear it. This was immediately after I told her that my zipper broke. We made it out of the store, I cheered up, left mom an interesting voicemail, and headed back to the church. Luckily Zach didn't miss any pictures, but I felt awful because I missed the cake and mom had to miss Kamaron and Anique's first sighting. Needless to say, my Saturday morning was eventful. The rest of the wedding went well and reception was crazy at first but once we started dancing it was all in the past. At least I can tell you this...I have MANY memories from this wedding that I'm sure I'll laugh on a lot and will never forget. Thanks Zach and mom for everything! (Sorry I have no pictures of the wedding/reception to share!)

3 comments:

  1. Looking back, I wish I'd taken a photo of your back with the broken zipper...after all, I DID take my camera with me into the men's room! It would have made a good addition to your post, but I didn't think about it and even if I had, I wouldn't have had the heart to do it!

    You wouldn't believe how many people who looked at my pictures without knowing the dress story have said how much they liked your dress, that it blended right in with the wedding colors, like you planned it that way. If they only knew!!!!

    You looked beautiful...when you finally started smiling again! Lots of memories...ha!

    Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy story. honestly, emily, i didn't even know what happened. i heard bits and pieces...that was it.

    thanks for you and zach's help at the wedding though. like i told mom, we couldn't have done it without people like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily...that's insane!!! I knew the dress broke...but had no idea the extent of the shanigans you had to go through. Thanks for supporting Kam and I and making things happen even though things went awry for you that morning. You did look BEAUTIFUL! We couldn't have had such a wonderful day without you and Zach...Thank you Whaleys!!!!
    Love,
    Anique

    ReplyDelete