Tuesday, August 11, 2009

30 Years In The Making

So I recently spent the last few days with my dad and 9 of his old navy buddies. They got together again after 30 years of not seeing each other. Oh the stories they had to share. I wanted to go along just to see if all of my dad's stories I heard growing up were true. I needed witnesses to the so called crazy antics of his military days. Turns out his stories were true, and he even left some good ones out that he couldn't remember but others could.
The above picture is my dad in a cut-out at the Naval Museum in Norfolk, VA where he was stationed. The bubble in the picture says he is a storekeeper, the position my dad held on his ship. He was on the USS Edenton, a salvage ship, that was deployed from the Amphibious Base in Norfolk. He was in service for a total of 4 years and was happy when he finally got out. As happy as he was to get out, he did make some great friends.
The above picture is of a 3 masted schooner that we took for a tour of the Naval Bay and the ships that were docked in the harbor. Below are some of the ships.
When all the guys got together the chaos began. These guys are crazy, but honestly some of the nicest, caring, and insightful men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I walk away from this trip with wisdom given from men who have tried it all and learned life the hard way...

It was a trip I will never forget. I learned about my dad's Navy days and met the men who helped make him who he is today. These guys all became men together while on that ship, but many stayed boys at heart. They shared a bond I may never fully understand, but have to respect and appreciate.
I also learned what NAVY means... Never Again Volunteer Yourself (I thought it was funny).

3 comments:

  1. Very nice post, Zach...a wonderful tribute to your dad and his Navy buddies! I love the photo looking up at the masts. Glad you got to go on the trip. I know it meant a lot to your dad!
    Love you! Your favorite Mother-in-Law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach ..... Terry is right, this is a wonderful tribute, I had the time of my life,and I had my awsome son to share it with me PRICELESS. Thank you. Kisto writes, your son is a nice young man, very special , tell him to keep focused,he is destined for great things. I love you son, and am very proud of you. give Emily my love. DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome trip. Guess your dad didn't make up all those stories after all.

    ReplyDelete