Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My 2nd Encounter with the "Short" Bus

So last spring I had to take a test to drive the mini bus at school. Growing up we always thought the only kids that rode the short bus were the special ed students. I don't even know where that came from but it is definitely not the case! In May I took a group of National Honor Society students to a camp to help out underpriviledged kids. Mr. S told me since it was my first trip he would give me the "good" bus. I had no problems and I did fine.

This past week there was a JV volleyball game away and since the varsity wasn't going I was told I had to take one of the mini busses. I didn't really mind since I had done it before, but let me tell you this trip did NOT go as smoothly!

First off, they gave me BUS #39...one of the new busses. I thought awesome until I found out it has a alarm system. There are instructions on how to turn the alarm off but they aren't very clear. Needless to say I had the alarm go off 3 times on the trip. Once at NC and twice at SHS. Not only does a small alarm beep, if you don't turn it off in enough time then a car alarm goes off...lights and horns going crazy until you finally can figure out what step you missed and get it turned off. VERY FRUSTRATING!

I think by the 3rd time I had to turn the bus off I got better at figuring out what I had to do in enough time. I did have to take the same bus out on Saturday and I had a much better experience. Lets just hope I don't have to drive the "short" bus too many times because I think the operator is a little overwhelmed when things don't go as planned.

4 comments:

  1. When you decide to quit teaching, you can be a professional "short bus" driver (not short "bus driver", like a few I've known...)! Funny!!! That is, unless it happens to you... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should have been riding on the short bus - and not in charge. :-)

    Very different bus than good old #11 with Bill Chapman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to gut it out! I can't imagine driving a short bus...let alone any bus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe only the driver a short bus is a special needs kid.

    ReplyDelete