Wednesday, March 30, 2011

School Project

I teach an Investigative Geometry class that is geared towards students who need their other math credit but can't do higher levels of Algebra. I try to not always just take notes and do homework, but I try to incorporate projects when I can.

I had just finished teaching about scale drawings so I had an idea to do a scale drawing in class of a candy/gum wrapper. The students would take a wrapper and had to increase the scale by at least double. To make sure this was practical, I thought I needed to do it first.

Zach also volunteered to do a practice one as well so that was our Saturday afternoon project. Below are the pictures of our work with the originals.

After a trip to the Dollar Tree, I did this Chiclets one because I didn't think it was too complicated for a non-artistic type.

And this is Zach's...I know amazing right?!? He is way more talented than me and I'm thankful the students got to see a good example.

It took way longer than expected to do these during class but I think the students enjoyed the project as did Zach and I.

2 comments:

  1. I know you are a fun and great teacher! And it was nice for the kids to see a good example and a very artistic example too! You got your dad's art talent... Must be something about math people! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. zach is a great artist...or just a perfectionist;)

    ReplyDelete