Monday, October 5, 2009

A Man Named Hedge

It never fails whenever I go to mom's house someone always stops by when she isn't there and usually wants to buy eggs. This time, however, the person wanted honey. And this wasn't just any person...this was Hedge.

This older man, who reminded me A LOT of Grandpa Bud, wanted to buy some honey. I didn't want this man to have to come back so I went inside, found how much it cost after calling mom, and sold him a jar of honey. You think the story should end there, but that is just where it begins.

After I gave him his honey, he meticulously counted out 5 one dollar bills. He then proceeded to ask me how long this house had been there. He remembered when it was an orchard and Albert Myers (sp?) owned a house across the street. That was before I was even thought of...so over 25 years ago.

He went on to tell me all about him. His name was Hedge, he was born around this area in 1939, graduated from Sulphur Springs High School, got married in 1957, and moved away with his wife. His wifed died 7 years ago and since he still had a plot of land on 600 N he thought he'd come back to the area. He told me it just "feels like home".

I definitely agreed with him and I went on to explain that I came back to teach at Shenandoah where I graduated from and grew up. Well believe it or not, Hedge was a teacher and then an administrator at Muncie Southside High School. He also wasn't shy to tell me that schools have changed and students are much worse. So true but he is definitely old school.

I thanked him for buying the honey and he continued to talk about how his doctor told him local honey will help with his allergies. He saw mom and dad's house as he was driving by one day and thought this would be perfect. I agreed and then we said our goodbyes. He asked me for my name, my parents' name, and then said again his name was Hedge and it was good to meet me.

I have never met a man named Hedge before today, but let me tell you he was a very interesting man. I'm glad I went to visit mom today after school or I would have never had this opportunity! I only wish I could have taken a picture of him...but I think that would have been a little awkward.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you were there to meet Hedge. Sounds like an interesting character...
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hedge sounds like a great guy...

    What a fun day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting guy....Mom's honey draws in some serious characters (maybe he was more interested in the 'local honey' haha.

    ReplyDelete