Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It's hit the Whaley's...H1N1

On Friday at school, I developed a cough but didn't think much of it since I seem to always get sick during the school year here and there. Nothing ever big...just something that last a couple of days then comes back later. The students seems to ALWAYS have some sickness they are just willing to spread around.

Saturday I woke up feeling a little off, but by after lunch I felt miserable. I was aching, had a fever, couldn't get comfortable, would be sweating one minute then be freezing the next, and my cough got worse. I tried taking multiple baths to make me comfortable, tried taking Advil and NyQuil, but nothing seemed to help. I went to bed that night and only slept about 3 hours of which were on the couch.

Sunday morning I knew there was no way I was going to church and after my shower I told Zach I had to go see a doctor. I felt awful...worse than I ever felt with any other sickness including mono. So Zach being the amazing husband that he is told me he'd drive me to a clinic. We drove around Greenfield but NO place was open until noon. I told him I couldn't wait that long so he went into the CVS in Greenfield and asked if they knew of a place that was open now. The nice ladies told him that there was a Minuteclinic in a CVS in New Palestine so Zach got in the car, turned the heat on full blast (he was miserable because he was so hot), and drove to New Pal.

I have been to urgent care places before and knew it would take a while but since this was called a minute clinic I thought it might be quicker. Boy was I wrong! We arrived and signed in on the sheet around 10:45 am. I was 9th on the list. We didn't get seen until 1:05 pm. Apparently this clinic had just received the H1N1 vaccine and parents were trying to get their kids vaccinated before they ran out. We were also informed that being 16th wasn't being very far down on the list!

I tried to be patient, but after an hour I was tired so Zach said I could go lay in the car while he waited and would text me when I was 2nd on the list. Isn't he the best!?! When I finally got called in the lady asked me a bunch of questions, told me I had the flu, and said that I looked good for a sick person (ha!). I could have had been officially tested for the H1N1 but she told me that she hasn't had anyone test for anything other than that and since the test was $120, Zach and I just took her word for it.

She told me some over the counter stuff I could take, prescribed me some cough medicine, and sent me on my way. Zach was a great trooper but told me he couldn't take care of me this week because he had midterms and didn't want to get it himself. So I decided to call mom and dad to see if they'd let me stay with them. Of course, they are the best and mom agreed!

My only complaint so far is that when I woke up on Monday morning and was laying on the couch, mom thought it'd be funny to take pictures of me then laugh. They are kind of funny so I'll post some of them but don't laugh too hard.

Don't I look healthy?!?


After I was coughing...mom thinks she's so funny!

This is mom's favorite one. She said I wasn't opening my eyes so I did this time.
Well to finish my story, I have the H1N1 virus, can't go to work all week, Zach was the best this weekend, and mom dad have cared for me like I was a little kid again. I am finally feeling better and plan to head back home tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds like a horrible weekend (not the staying at Mom and Dads, but the H1N1 part). Hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we were able to help you out! Although I've not hung around much or gotten too close...I DON'T want to get it myself!

    We love you and hope you're better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you over the pig flu yet? :-)

    Hope you are better now!

    ReplyDelete